Ouch! No, really! Ouch!!! It seems that the entry to the summer season had a little more sting than necessary. Travelling to Florida over the weekend surely was a blast, yet for those whom visited the Atlantic coastline, a most unwelcome surprise was acquired!
Visitors to the eastern Florida beaches found themselves encountering a little treat from Mother Nature. A reminder that our Earth is shared by many species, these particular Atlantic waters were occupied by human vacationers, and by jellyfish! Anyone whom took the time to travel into this coastal region during the Memorial Day Weekend needed to be weary of the waters.
Apparently, the weekend was filled with calls and reports to Florida beach officials. Brevard County, specifically, found itself receiving reports from holiday visitors whom were being stung by jellyfish. Almost 600 calls were made over the weekend, with 200 happening Saturday, and more than 250 calls made Sunday.
It seems even more strange because these particular jellyfish were not the usual type that are seen within this particular coastal region. The beaches along Brevard County mainly received reports from visitors spotting Cannonball Jellyfish and Portuguese Man o’ War. Specifically, the jellyfish spotted have been identified as mauve stingers. These are the type that are beautifully alluring because of their bioluminescence, yet dangerous because of their stings.
Fortunately, the sting is not lethal! Yes, it hurts, but it can be treated, easily. Experts say that the first thing to do is to get out of the water. The irritated skin area should be rinsed with seawater. Isopropyl alcohol, or vinegar, should be used to relax the danger of the venom introduced to the skin.
Next, any tentacles left within the skin need to be removed with tweezers. The skin should be scraped with a razor to be certain that the assaulted area is clear of any venom. Then, the experts are saying to use baking soda, vinegar, or even mud, to be sure that the wound is free of jellyfish venom. Once the spot is cleaned, and is protected from other areas of the body, it is to be wrapped.
Using fresh water on the wound is not recommended. Fresh water has a different level of tonicity (pressure level). It should be clear that professional assistance is needed with such an occurrence. Yet, to clarify, PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ATTENTION is necessary. Anyone who has been stung by a jellyfish likely needs to see a doctor to be certain that the wound has been treated properly, and that the venom has not spread into other areas of the body!
SEE THESE SITES!!!